I have practiced workers compensation, employment law and personal injury law since 2005. I have represented employees in state and federal cases, in the Nebraska Workers Compensation Court, administrative proceedings in front of the Nebraska Department of Labor and Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission and have also represented union members in arbitrations.I have presented about workers compensation and employment law for groups such as American Bar Association, the American Association of Justice, the Nebraska State Bar Association and the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys and at the University of Nebraska College of Law as well as to labor unions and management groups.
I write frequently about topical workplace law issues at our firm’s blog, www.workerscompensationwatch.com and I recently had a feature article about interpretation of workplace law in the Trump era that was published in The Nebraska Lawyer magazine.
In addition to protecting workers rights in the judicial system, I also protect the ability of employees to protect themselves in the legislative and political arena. I regularly testify in front to the Business and Labor Committee in the Unicameral on issues relating to workers compensation. I serve as a PAC Trustee for the American Association of Justice and the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys.
My wife Abby is the NSEA building representative at Culler Middle School in Lincoln where she teaches 8th grade English. We live in Lincoln with our 2 year-old son, Russel.
Areas of Practice
- Workers Compensation
- Personal Injury
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Nebraska, 2005
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 2005
- University of Nebraska College of Law, Lincoln, Nebraska
- J.D. – 2004
- Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- B.S. – 1997
- Top Five Cases Employment Law Cases from the Plaintiff’s and Defendant’s Perspective, Nebraska State Bar Association, October 2017, La Vista, Nebraska.
- American Association of Justice Workers Injury and Workers Compensation Section Seminar, Moderator/Organizer, July 2017, Boston
- Opioids and Workers Compensation, Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, April 2017, Omaha, Nebraska
- Retaliation and Whistleblower Law in Nebraska, Nebraska State Bar Association, June 2016, Omaha, Nebraska
- Client Intake from Plaintiff’s Perspective, University of Nebraska College of Law Employment Law Capstone Seminar, January 2016, Lincoln, Nebraska
- College Athletes and Workers’ Compensation, American Bar Association, March 2015, Naples, Florida
- Employment Law Issues Arising from Workers’ Compensation Claims, Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, February 2015, Omaha, Nebraska
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys Workers Compensation Seminar, Co-Moderator/Co-Organziner, February 2015, Omaha, Nebraska
- Motion Practice in the Nebraska Workers Compensation Court, Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, December 2014, Lincoln, Nebraska
- Representing the non-English speaking client, American Association of Justice, July 2014, Baltimore, Maryland
- Professionalism and Ethics for First Year Law Students, University of Nebraska College of Law, August 2015, August 2016, August 2017; Lincoln, Nebraska
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, Member, 2005 – Present, Workers’ Compensation Committee Chair
- American Association of Justice, Board of Governors, Workers Compensation and Work Injury Law Section chair, 2016-2017
- Workplace Injury Law and Advocacy Group
- Nebraska State Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Ameritrade, Trader, 1998 – 2001
- Chi Phi