I am the senior member of Rehm, Bennett & Moore, P.C., L.L.O. I have been practicing law since 1973 with experience in a wide variety of trial oriented cases. Early in my career, I worked as both a prosecutor and defense attorney. I was a founding board member of the Nebraska Criminal Defense Attorneys Association.
I limit my practice to civil law since 1986 to focus on personal injury, wrongful death and workers compensation cases. In 1987, I became a director for the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys and I still serve in that capacity. I was elected president of the association in 1997 and have also served as chairman of the legislative committee, chairman of the workers compensation committee and chairman of the political action committee. I have presented seminar talks and papers for this group on trial practice issues, brain injury cases, mediation, workers compensation and office technology. From 1992 to 1993, I served as the Nebraska Association of Trial Attorney's representative on the Governors Workers Compensation Task Force and was successful in fighting to preserve important workers rights such as choice of doctor.
On the national level, I am member of the American Association of Justice and have been a seminar speaker at its annual convention. I have been a member of the Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group, a national group of lawyers organized to fight for injured workers rights since 1996 and have been a board of director member since 1997 as well as an officer in 2002 and 2003. I have been a seminar speaker for this group in North Carolina, Colorado, Connecticut & New Orleans and written articles for its magazine. I have been designated as a Union Privilege lawyer for more than 15 years. I am a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates which is a by invitation trial lawyers group requiring extensive documented jury trial experience since 1994. In 2010, I was admitted to the ABA College of Workers Compensation Lawyers at Nebraska's first representative.
I work in both offices and am well acquainted with Nebraska lawyers and judges who handle personal injury, wrongful death and workers compensation cases. In the 90's, I served on the governing body of the Nebraska State Bar Association and have presented seminar speeches and papers for this association for more than 20 years on a variety of topics such as computer generated evidence, workers compensation, and damages in personal injury cases. I served as chairman of the Workers Compensation section of the Nebraska State Bar Association in the 90's. Nebraska lawyers evaluate and rate lawyers for Martindale Hubbell, the most respected lawyer rating service and I have had the top rating continuously for 20 years.
I grew up in rural Nebraska. My parents were a small business owner and a school teacher. I participated in sports and worked many physical jobs. Hard work, organization and education were stressed. I grew up understanding and respecting regular working people. Becoming a lawyer was my career goal before I reached my teens. My firm is focused on representing regular people and I enjoy what I do.
Areas of Practice
- 50% Workplace Injury and Death Claims (Workers Compensation, FELA & 3rd party)
- 30% Truck, Auto and Motorcycle Injury and Death cases
- 10% Product and Premises Injury and Death claims
- 5% Employment law for employees
- 5% Various Civil matters
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Nebraska, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. District Court District of Nebraska, 1973
- University of Nebraska College of Law, Lincoln, Nebraska
- J.D. - 1973
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska
- B.A. - 1970
- Major: Business, Management & Economics
- Making the Best of a Bad Situation, Workers' Compensation, Prairie Barrister, 1990
- Workers' Compensation Claims for the Injured Worker, Nebraska Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 1988
- Damages Seminar, Loss of Consortium, Nebraska Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 1990
- Evidence Seminar; Computer-Generated Evidence, Nebraska Continuing Legal Education Seminar, 1991
- Multi-State Workers' Compensation Cases, Annual Meeting, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1998
- Workers' Compensation in Nebraska-Issues and Answers, National Business Institute, Inc., 1990
- New Case Law, Bi-annual Seminar, Workers' Compensation, Inc., 1989
- Parameters of Vocational Rehabilitation, Bi-annual Seminar, Workers' Compensation, Inc., 1991
- Nebraska Workers' Compensation and Repetitive Motion: An Update, Medical Education Services, 1992
- Trying the Automobile Case in Nebraska, National Business Institute, Inc., 1992
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, 15 presentations between 1988 and 2011 on trial advocacy, workers compensation, mediation and law office technology.
- Nebraska State Bar Association, 10 presentations between 1988 and 2010 on workers compensation and trial advocacy.
- Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group, 5 presentations between 1998 and 2009 on multi state jurisdiction and office technology
- American Association of Justice, 1998 Annual convention presentation on multi-jurisdiction issue in Workers Compensation
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Instructor May 1992
- United Food & Commercial Workers local 22 & 271, Steward training from 1994 to date.
- United Steelworkers local 286, Steward training from 1991 to date.
Honors and Awards
- Wiedemann Wysocki Citation of Excellence, 1990
- AV Preeminent Attorney, Peer Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, 1990 - Present
- AFL-CIO Union Privilege Lawyer, 1995 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association of Justice
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, Board of Trustees , 1988 - Present
- Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Board of Trustees , 1997 - Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1994 - Present
- American Inns of Court, Robert Van Pelt Chapter
- Nebraska State Bar Association, Workers Compensation Section, Chairman, 1990 - 1991
- College of Workers Compensation Lawyers, Member, 2010 - Present
- Nebraska Appleseed Center, Board of Directors, 2000 - 2004
- Source for Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser, Houghton Mifflin Co., 2001
- Workers' Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Secretary, 2002 - 2003
- Nebraska Association of Trial Attorneys, President, 1997 - Present
- Lincoln Bar Association, President, 1993 - 1994
- Nebraska State Bar Association, House of Delegates, 1995 - 1999
Past Employment Positions
- Rehm and Bartling, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1984 - 1987
- Law Office of Cobb & Rehm, P.C., Lincoln, Nebraska, 1981 - 1983
- Deputy Lancaster County Public Defender, Lincoln, NE, 1978 - 1981
- Deputy Lancaster County Attorney, Lincoln, NE, 1975 - 1978
- Assistant City Prosecutor, Lincoln, NE, 1974 - 1975
- Wellensieck and Davis, Nebraska City, NE, 1973 - 1974
- Chi Phi
- Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity